Friday, April 27, 2012

Dining choices...

Hi, I%26#39;m visiting Feb.24th and 25th with my wife. We are trying to narrow down our dining choices and based on web reviews and friend%26#39;s recommendations we%26#39;ve come up with (in no particular order)the following..........

Neath%26#39;s

Moda

XO/Ten Prime

Big Fish

Mill%26#39;s Tavern

I was looking for some feedback (or additions)here from the local experts. We%26#39;ll be staying at the Westin and will be going to the Bruins game on Saturday night. Also, any recommendations on a pre-game place would be a help too.

Thanks.

Dining choices...

Pre-game choices are easier. I assume you are talking about the Bruins game at the Dunkin Donuts center in Providence??? If so, plenty of places right around the corner from the Westin..Re Ra is one, the Union Station Brewery Place is another.

As for dinner, I would go the extra block up from the Westin to the infamous ';Federal Hill'; where every restaurant is excellent..I especially like Cassarino%26#39;s and Andino%26#39;s and The Old Canteen.

Let me know if you need any more help...

Dining choices...

Tuff because they are excellent choices, I have been to all except for Moda (must be new, which doesn’t mean it is a bad thing)

XO, Ten, Prime and Big Fish are all owned by same restaurateur, all very different.

Prime is steak, Big Fish is as it’s name, Ten is steak and sushi very trendy.

As for location Neath’s, XO and Mills tavern are all in the same area Ten is not far from the general area The Big Fish is on Richmond Street off the beaten track.

My suggestion is look at the menus online this may help. Here is a web site with links

www.inn-providence-ri.com/restaurants.shtml

For something casual pre game the Trinity Brew House is very close to the Dunk

Enjoy


Thanks for all the help so far. Federal Hill has always intrigued me. I enjoy The North End have always heard that the Hill rivals, or even betters the North End.

I%26#39;m still torn though on my choices, but I do know, Ri-Ra and Trinity Brewing will be on the pre-game/post-game list. I%26#39;m a big Ri-Ra (Portland,ME/Burlington,VT/Providence) fan as well as a micro-brew fan. I%26#39;ve been to the Union St. Brewery before it was owned by John Harvards.

I like the sounds and looks of Moda, 10 Prime and Neath%26#39;s. The trendy places I enjoy, especially if they have a nice lounge to relax at before and after dinner.


KJ -

Thanks for your advice on the Montreal forum -

Sounds like you have the pre/post game covered with Trinity.. can%26#39;t go wrong there.

But as far as dinner goes there are two directions you can go in -- 1) Federal Hill (90% Italian food, and yes, as good as the north end) or 2) The Trendy Spots.

If you go the Federal Hill route, I would imagine you want to get that Italian feeling so I would suggest:

1) Camilles - a bit overpriced but as far as Federal Hill atmosphere goes it ranks right up there - they usually have a live singer belting out Sinatra tunes on the weekends

2) Meditteraneo - might be the best all around restaurant on the Hill

3) Andino%26#39;s - small, no frill, Sinatra playing for background music, etc... good solid, food - has more of a ';local'; feel

For the trendier spots, I would suggest:

1) XO Cafe (on South Main street) - small but great food and great drinks - a bit pricey but worth it

2) Ten Steak %26amp; Sushi (downtown in the Financial District - the city is small so you could walk there from the game) - similiarly, a bit pricey but tremendous steaks and Sushi. Don%26#39;t confuse this one with 10 Prime on Federal Hill though.

I would stay away from Big Fish - might as well be a chain - no soul to it. Mills Tavern is a great resturant but it is a tad expensive and feels like a bankers dining room - don%26#39;t get me wrong, it is beautiful, but it is all dark wood, etc... hope this helps


KJ -

Almost forgot... regardless of which route you take re: dining, skip the dessert at the restaurant and head to either:

1) Pastiche (in Depasqualle Sqaure in Federal Hill) - perfect if you end up eating on Federal Hill

2) Elizabeth%26#39;s (on South Main)

Both are cool littel spots that your wife will undoubtedly be happy that you took her there for dessert/after dinner coffee type drinks


Nice, nice work Jason. Thanks.


I love Andinos. The food is awesome and the prices are reasonable.

  • facial hair
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment